Rules and Boundaries
Children need rules and boundaries, so that they can understand expected behaviour when starting school. Below are some tips on choices and consequences to manage children’s challenging behaviour.
- Be clear and specific about the positive and negative choice of behaviour, and the positive and negative consequences that will follow.
- Relate the consequences to the behaviour.
- Choose consequences that mean something to the child.
- Use a calm, clear voice; threats, a threatening manner, ultimatums are counterproductive.
- Only give choices if it's right for the situation.
- Choose consequences you can keep to (without “punishing” yourself).
- Give the child a few moments to reflect before asking for a decision
Click the links below to find out more